Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mans

Programmer
Mar 18, 2000
AU
Hello,

I have the Microsoft ME operating system and each time I turn the compter on it constatntly rings and does not allow me to enter the computer. There is a message that says "Keyboard Stuck at FF", none of the keys can then function. I have changed keyboards and that worked for a little time and then the same problem occurred again, I cannot access the computer at all.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thank You

It sounds to me as if the keyboard connector on the motherboard is going. You may want to replace, or better yet, by another motherboard for you PC. I have had similar problems that would re-occur no matter what keyboard I used. I wound up installing another motherboard. It cured it.

Instead of going ahead and purchasing a new mobo, try a different connection. If you are using a ps/2 keyboard try a USB keyboard (that is if you have usb ports) IF you don't have USB ports you can get a USB PCI card practically anywhere. Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

Thanks Scotty, but I have already tried what you suggested. The computer still rings annoyingly and you can not type anything in, irrespective of whether there is a keyboard plugged into the PS2 or USB ports.

Have you tried entering Safe Mode and to test the keyboard there or even dos? It could just be a software problem, although I have seen what rabflorida said where it could be a motherboard issue. Try it in Safe Mode and tell us what happens.

Thank you, but unfortunately I cannot get into safe mode, when I start it up, no matter what key I press (F8 and F10) on start up it just rings out and is comes up with the hp logo on the screen.

It's my experience that the HP logo is part of the BIOS and obscures the boot process. Try pressing the Tab key several times as soon as the logo comes up, should take you to a black screen with white letters.

Also, when the HP logo comes on start pressing the Ctrl key to get the boot menu. In Win95 it was the F8 but MS changed to Ctrl with Win98 and WinME. F8 still works in Win98/ME but just a bit different.

Hello,

I hit the tab key and it advanced to the black screen but there was no response to the keyboard after that. The beeping just continues. I tried re-starting again and hit the keys that you mentioned without any reaction.

It does sound like the keyboard controller on the motherboard has gone bad. Usually requires a new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back