Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard Problem with GVC MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

jisoo22

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
US
Hello all,

I'm having a strange problem which I'm having trouble pin-pointing the source from. I installed a used GVC ar862 motherboard with a 1GHz Duron and 128 MB PC133. The machine just has those and a video card and it POSTs, but for some reason it will not allow me to use the keyboard for anything. By that I mean you do not get any sort of error you usually get when you don't plug a keyboard into the PS/2 port. I mean that I can't hit "delete" to get into the BIOS or to move between "Boot from Hard Drive" and "Boot from CD" when I use my Windows 98 cd. The keyboard works as I'm using it now on my old computer. I swapped out the motherboard with another of the same model and the keyboard worked for the first post. I then plugged in a hard drive to load an OS and the keyboard is gone again. Does anyone know what's going on or have had a similar problem on their computer?

Thanks,
Jisoo22

It appears to be a run of GVC MB's with bad KB ports.

Did you try using a USB KB?

No I haven't. But would that work on boot-up? I don't think USB keyboards are detected in POST and DOS boot ups?

Some USB KB makers supply DOS drivers either with their products, or at their websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back