Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keyboard / mouse failure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trippin

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2004
US
I have a new computer (6 mos) and system crashed. When I brought it back online, both the keyboard (PS2) and mouse (USB) failed to work. OS (XP Pro) came up, but without keyboard or mouse, I'm sitting there staring. Keyboard failure is bad enough that it doesn't work to let me in to BIOS. Does anyone know a way to re-set BIOS or to access BIOS another way?

Trippin,
I would first inspect the keyboard plug for any bent pins and also make sure that it is being plugged into the keyboard port and not the PS/2 mouse port.

Next, I would try booting with just the keyboard attached and if it failed I would try a different keyboard (borrowed) to rule out a failed/damaged keyboard.

Next, with a known functioning keyboard, I would then plug in the USB mouse only after it has booted to the desktop and see if it can be detected or if it causes a system lock-up.

Can ou get a different keyboard and mouse to try?
Also, take out all pci cards and try booting, could be that one of them went bad and it is interfering with keyboard and mouse.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

When I brought it back"

Were the keyboard and mouse unplugged at any time? Are they plugged in the wrong sockets?

What brand of PC are you using ?
Also, all new PC boards will prompt you during boot time if a keyboard is not plugged in. Do you hear any beeping sound during bootup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back