Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard - Key 'e' opening windows explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

arulthas

MIS
Jan 4, 2004
AP
When I press key 'e' - windows explorer open.
When I press key 'r' - run open
When I press key 'f' - search windows open.

Usually all the above is trigger together windows keys like follow: -
'Windows key" + 'e' - windows explorer
'Windows key" + 'r' - run window
'Windows key" + 'f' - search windows

I'm not sure how it possible to perform all the above with single key but its annoying. Appreciate for any help.

/arulthas

Can you try another Keyboard, or the Onscreen Keyboard, accessed by pressing Windows Key + U, or possibly just "U" in your case?

Perhaps it is a stuck Windows Key, by either of the two you have on the keyboard?

Not able to use another keyboard as i am using notebook.
But both windows key is not stuck as far i can see.

/arulthas

You have a stuck key. (Ctrl, Alt, or Windows... I think Windows)

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Agree - you're describing all the Windows+_____ shortcuts. Expand the 'Microsoft keyboard shortcuts' section here. The windows logo key must be stuck (at least internally, even if the mechanical key moves).

BadBigBen - I have checked and all the option are not checked.

gbaughma - Not sure which key is stuck but looking at the situation it should be 'windows'. How do i simulate the same in another computer?

linney - I will keep this as my last option to disable the windows key as its very useful.

In the pass i have experience the same in my PC and after a simple restart all back to normal. But this resolution is not working for notebook.

/arulthas

(If you are comfortable doing so....)

1) Remove the keyboard
2) Give it a whack on the back
3) Try it again and see if the problem goes away.

... sometimes, a little percussive maintenance is the answer.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

if Gbaughma's suggestion does not work...

try an external Keyboard, if the behaviour is the same, then it is mostlikely a software problem... if the behaviour stops then you have a bum keyboard or something spilled on the keypad shorting the windows key...

if the keyboard is stuck/damaged then mostlikely you will need a replacement...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

There's a simple mathematical formula that all of my offspring have learned the hard way:

Code:
Laptop + college + drink = external keyboard.

Cheers, Mike.

Hi All,

For time being I have suggested to user to disable the windows key and she able to use the keyboard as normal. However i will contact her for a permanent resolution as suggested above.

/arulthas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back