Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard Hotplugging [PS2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossiya

ISP
Jul 9, 2005
US
Hi I don't know if someone has an answer, but I am looking for a way to recover from the dreaded "slow keyboard" arising from unplugging and replugging the keyboard while the computer is on. I am running FreeBSD so tewaking the BIOS would be idea. However PC solutions would be interesting so I can know what I'm missing :cool:

What keyboard interface are we talking about here? PS/2? USB? Plugging in and unplugging the former is asking for trouble - seen blown controllers as a result of doing this.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Hot plugging PS/2 keyboards or mice is generally a bad thing to do (as Roger mentioned above). If you need to switch a keyboard between computers, better to get a KVM switch.

rossiya
Well as far as I am aware there isn't much you can do, as others have said unplugging PS2 devices is bad news and if you have problems as a result it's generally either a new Motherboard or a USB Keyboard (which is hot swappable) and obviously the later is cheaper.

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

The reason I ask is that long ago I had an ABIT mobo which has a setting in the BIOS, so that a hotplugged keyboard would keep repeating at the fast [30 kps] rate. The ASUS mobos I ran would zombify and go into slo-mo after a host plug. I thought at the time that there was somethin amiss with the ASUS, but every mobo since then also has a zombified repeat rate after hot plugging

I use a Belkin KVM but invariably I switch into a machine on startup, and then the other mobo is also zombified. I notice that my IWILL mobo key rate recovers after some days. I don't know if that is hardware or the BIOS finally deciding to pick up the rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back