Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keyboard freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgrandy

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
US
My keyboard keeps on locking up on my computer. I have switched out this keyboard with another. I have also been able to try a different motherboard since I had some problems with mine and had it replaced, but it had the same problem before and after this. It seems to happen at random times regardless of what I am doing. Is this a driver problem, or some other windows problem, or could it be some hardware problem.
Thanks for your help.

Need to know what you mean when you say the keyboard is locking up.
Does it just stop working but you can use the mouse?
Or does the whole computer stop responding?
Do you get any error messages?
Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

If your keyboard is freezing maybe you should purchase some new mittens. :)

Do you mean to say that the display is frozen?

Rgds

Your not running an HP Scanjet bed scanner are you? Is this an intermittent but happens say every five minutes or so. Lasts about 2 seconds then it’s ok again? HP uses a Power Saver for it’s scanners to make sure the copy light is off. HP is aware of the problem and shock, shock, there is a fix on their site. Push to test, Release to detonate.

The keyboard stops responding, the mouse continues to work fine. I have waited about 30 minutes and the keyboard still won't respond, but the rest of the computer works fine. If I restart the computer then it works fine, at least for a while until it stops responding again.

Well it almost has to be hardware. If it followed to another board. I dont see, have you replaced the keyboard? Checked the plug for opens? Move the lead into the PS/2 socket, can you reproduce the failure? What new software have you installed? Try reinstalling windows. Reseat the memory. Check the CMOS, make sure it's set for an english 101 key board. Push to test, Release to detonate.

okay, I'll have to dissagree with the above post on it definately being hardware.

What I might do in your situation is disable any and all power saving features in windows and see if that made a difference, if not I would try using it in safe mode to see if it occured then.

If it didn't lock up in safe mode I would be looking at a driver or piece of software running in the background.

Well since the problem followed to another MB then I was most deffinatley try a different keyboard... Push to test, Release to detonate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back