Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keyboard errors 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HebieBug

Programmer
Jan 8, 2001
JP
Gday,
Have upgraded from xp to 8.1 PRO (64bit).
The strangest thing has occurred if I use certain keys it will give me 2 letters or numbers output. An example if I type q then I get qw. It only has to do with a certain part of the keyboard. Here is the list
1 = 12
2 = 12
q = qw
w = qw
a = as
s = as
z = zx
z = zx

device manager says it is a HID keyboard device, same as in XP. Nothing physically done to keyboard ie no liquid spilt on it. Yes I could go out and buy another keyboard but that's a bit like rebuilding a perfectly good computer just cause a bit of software won't work on it.
Anyone see this before ? or can help

Sounds like the membrane under your keyboard has shifted or you've got the wrong driver for the keyboard.

First thing I tried was the on-screen keyboard. Worked fine.
I then went along the lines of driver issues. I copied the drivers off a windows 7 machine which I moved the keyboard to so I could get the right drivers.
I then moved keyboard back to win 8 machine and I don't believe it the keyboard is working fine. I have never seen anything like that before.
So now working happily things very much Hugh and xwb for helping out.

So for all we know it was a dirty connection that prevented the keyboard from being fully powered.

Keyboards on Win 8 lose their mind sometimes I have noticed. Every nown and again something completely mental happens and when I type the letter P for example it comes out with something like "X•♣__" , it stops after 10 mins usually.. strange..

It is still causing same problems with me. I just keep changing the usb port and then it works again. Back and forth between 2 ports. Only happens at login or after sleep. Very silly silly

Try to disable and back enable your keyboard in device manager, if this wont work try to troubleshoot the problem and see what will windows determinate, and last step is to try fully update windows. I had problem with turn off pc lol, when I restarted it it shuted down and when I shuted down it restarted lol. Windows update helped me here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back