Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayE

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
GB
Hi,

Is it possible to restore a dirty keyboard to its "as new" condition?

I know you can clean the tops of the keys with cleaning fluid and special swabs.

However, in the past, I have had amazing success with washing a keyboard (yes, I did say that) in warm water and a little detergent and obviously leaving it to dry thoroughly before attempting to use it.

The last 2 times I tried this, though, the keyboard has been cleaned but plugging it in has not worked (lots of beeps!).

Am I doing something wrong in the way I've been cleaning it recently? Or can I not do with some keyboards?

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Jay/UK

Usually a damp cloth with mild detergent works good. I wouldn't submerge the keyboard in water though. Moisture will remain between the rubber membrane and the circut board if you do. I have taken them apart before and soaked
the upper and lower case as well as the keys, but with the labor involved and the cost of new keyboards it is easier
just to buy a new one. Also, knowing the key positions is a
must when reassembling them.

Turn it upside down & gently bounce it on the the keys to dislodge all the dirt .
Do the same on all sides & ends & go back to bouncing it on the keys .

Repeat many times .

Make sure it is unplugged .

You can wash them, in fact some shops use a dishwasher. They should be taken apart first and dried very thoroughly afterwards, use a mild heat source such as an elecric radiater (not too close) or a day or so in the sun. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

I use q-tips, cotton balls and rubbing alcohol. The alcohol evaporates quickly so no moisture is left.

I take it you will stop doing silly things like washing

keyboards when you blow the ps2 port on your MOBO

God buy a new one

huh there a fiver mate if that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back