Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keyboard buffer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyh

Technical User
Jul 16, 2000
GB
basically there are three or four pc's on our network of thirty pc's where intermittently the machine locks up and when you try and move the mouse or press any key it makes a beep beep beep noise as though some kind of buffer is full these pc's are on an nt4 network (cat 5)these pc's are using windows 98 i have tried changing network cards but to no avail all the machines developed the problem at roughly the same time, any ideas ?

Just a little question. Have you switched all of the keyboards that are displaying this symptom with other systems not displaying the symptom?? Just to rule out the possibility that you lost a group of keyboards all at the same time?? I know you said it happens intermittantly, but can you give some time frame?? Like does it happen several times a day or several times a week??

Thanks

thanks for the reply

no i haven't swapped the keyboards around yet, the fact is that the problem is getting more widespread across the network with many different workstation setups, i think i have narrowed it down to a cabling problem as they all seem to be more or less in the same geographic area, ive got he contractors coming in to check it out so i will keep you informed.

Thanks

I have this same exact problem (rarely). I've had it on non-networked PC's though, so that's not the cause, at least for me. I'm just gonna get good cooling and a new PSU, and will see if it still happens. :)

yep, it seems it was the cabling, ran a new cable away from main loom and connected problem pcs to it via a hub and everything seems ok, think it was a problem with electrical interference, why does the keyboard or mouse make that noise though, and what is a keyboard buffer anyway?

Makes the noise to let you know that it can't accept the keystroke. Kbd buffer is memory area that is used for storing keystrokes so you don't have to wait every stroke for the machine to get done with the previous one.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Looking for a way to transparently capture the keyboard buffer as my step son uses instant messaging to his friends. Our home system routes through my work server and I have asked him to "keep it clean" though I have no way of being assured he is. I'd like to capture his keystrokes from the keyboard so I can review them from time to time to see he is living up to his word.

If not then I have grounds to restrict his internet / IM activities.

Are there any programs that already do this ? Or can it be done.

Thanks,
Stress_Daddy

Please, don't do that, Stress_Daddy. It can be done, but it would really be invading his privacy, IMHO.

Stress_Daddy,

heck of a way to show your step-son you believe in him...

as a step-son myself, if i found out (and believe me... you catch him, and ground him, he'll know) you will NEVER be trusted by him...

i'll agree the internet is full of wierdo's... just look at tek-tips :) ... a great group of wierdos here, but wierdos just the same...

he gave you his word... if you can't accept that, then TELL him you don't trust him... don't spy... show your integrity, and sit down and tell him that you are having problems believing him...

a 31 year old father of 3, myself... oldest almost 7... they each have their own computers... they KNOW i check their computers... i TELL them i will be doing random spot checks... they accept that, and (i hope) appreciate that i care enough to give them their space...

yes... there are TONS of applets out that can do what you are trying to do... but, trust me, you will sabotage ANY chance of a meaningful relationship with your step-son.

Trust: it takes a lifetime to gain and keep, and a split-second to lose forever... Shane
and now for the impressive abbreviations:
DOA, SOL, AWOL, PEBKAC, id10t, FUBAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back