Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard and mouse wont work after Win2000 Pro starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmoss1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2001
US
Recently, after a restart, my keyboard and mouse stopped working. The keyboard and mouse still work as they respond until the Win2000 startup screen shows up on the screen but once the login screen appears both the mouse and keyboard won't function. The mouse pointer is conspicuously absent from the screen.
It is not a mouse or keyboard problem as I am writing this from a parallel install of Win2000 on the same computer. I think it is a registry error but I have made some changes and it hasn't fixed the problem. I have recopied the i8042prt.sys file, checked the old registry entry for it, checked and replaced the keyboard and mouse drivers but nothing has worked.
I am running Win2000 Pro SP2 on a Microstar KT7 Turbo mb with 512 meg of ram. Standard PS2 keyboard and mouse.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Greg

Do you have a USB mouse and/or kbd that you
could connect to the machine along with the PS/2 devices? Hopefully, the machine will load drivers for them and then you could get to the control panel, delete the PS/2 devices and re-install them. Remember to turn on USB support in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back