Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard and Mouse problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

daglugub37

Technical User
Oct 21, 2003
US
Hey All,

OK this is weird as both my keyboard and mouse are acting up so I don't think swapping them will help, and these problem peripherals were not working right on my old PC either.

The following problems happen from time to time and a reboot temporarily resolves the issue.

1. Caps lock is working in reverse.
2. I can not enter number characters
3. Num Pad is not working
4. MOUSE - can not single select anything; trying to single click any given object from variuos views actually highlights several objects.

Anyone heard of this?

Have you checked to see if there are any driver updates. The ones windows used may not be the best ones.

The appropriate drivers are being used; device manager not showing any probs nor is the event viewer.

Any more ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated

I just had one (PS/2 connectors) that the keyboard and mouse were both inoperative. First thought: plugged in reversed - nope. Found that the mouse was bad, why it messed up the keyboard, I don't know!

micker377,

I have swapped the keyboard and mouse and they seem to work fine. Ofcourse I won't truly know until I get a good month w/out problems.

What are the chances that both periphs fail at the same time...next to nill...

However I think you are on to something...sometimes when one fails it effects the other.

Hey the good news is I got a better mouse now.

thanks all

I had a situation where the customers keyboard went out and caused the mouse to quit working. The funny thing was that the keyboard worked somewhat and the mouse didn't work at all. After a lengthy troubleshooting session, it turned out the keyboard was the cause of the problems. New keyboard and existing mouse worked fine.

LJ Wilson

My personal saying - Just remember, it can always get worse, and usually will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back