Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard and mouse going dead intermittently then reviving after about 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcpierce1122

Technical User
Jul 21, 2004
US
Hi...this bizarre activity happens while I'm in any application.

I've got 512 meg RAM, run anti-keylogger and anti-spy/trojan software frequently, and use McAfee for anti virus.

I have a USB keyboard and a USB mouse daisy-chaining off the keyboard.

In an hour's time, I might experience several pauses in mouse and keyboard response. Running applications, like downloads, continue. I have to wait for 5-10 seconds to regain control of either mouse or keyboard. It's VERY annoying! I don't think virus or spyware action is to blame...wondering if it would be the USB setup? My USBs are all 2.0.

I'd be most appreciative of any ideas. I'm sort of stuck with USB connections for keyboard and mouse as my PCI connection was physically damaged (by a tech shop worker!) and so I can't connect any other way.

Thanks in advance!
John

Have you tried plugging into a different USB port? Does the USB cord fit snuggley into it's current port? Is there anything that could be putting pressure/pulling on the USB cord, such as shifting your keyboard around?
Since your mouse is daisy-chained off your keyboard, and both are affected (I assume at the same time), then it hints to a problem at the original USB connection.

All great accomplishments were once considered impossible.

What other USB devices are you running?

Does the mouse have to be connected to the keyboard? Is this setup plugged directly into the USB port on the computer or a USB extention?

Straight away back to basics;
Unplug all other devices and remove the daisey chain and plug the M&K striaght into the PC (hope you have 2 USB ports) then wait for the probel to reoccur if it does start experimenting with new drivers different mouse then different keyboard (Perhaps PS2 if you have one laying around?)

if it doesn't occur after step one then start plugging everything else back in1 by one wait a couple of hours for the problem to reoccur.

Does the downloads keep moving or do they freeze but continue after everything starts up again? If this is the case your CPU might be over heating.

Repost the results,

Iain

Thanks for the input, all...I'll be trying all the above...I'm so busy using my computer for business I hardly give myself time to experiment! thanks again..
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back