Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keyboard and mouse do not work in window xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidkid

Technical User
Oct 8, 2005
Hello,
I have swapped out both,keyboard and mouse. The keyboard only works when I hit the f8 key and arrow up and down in the menu where you can choose safe mode, go to the last known configuration etc, but when it launches MS banner come up stating I may have a counterfeit copy of window xp and freezes my keyboard. I have been able for at least a year to get around this banner. What do I do?
Appreciate any information,
Regards,
vidkid

Is your Windows XP a counterfeit copy? If it's a real one, then you may have to reinsert your installation CD and do a repair.

Thanks for your reply. I bought this computer at a close out sale of a computer repair place. I did not get this banner until 2 years later, and all we did was to cancel it.This lasted up until now. If I install an oem version, won't I lose all information?
Thanks again,
vidkid

Can you boot into Safe Mode to backup your files?

Q: What is the genuine Windows offer?
A:
The Microsoft genuine Windows offer is designed to help customers who unknowingly purchased counterfeit versions of Windows XP by offering those who qualify a complimentary copy or electronic license key for a genuine copy of Windows XP.

Q: What are the details of the genuine Windows offer?
A:
To help customers who unknowingly purchased a counterfeit version of Windows XP, Microsoft has created two genuine Windows offers for those who qualify:

* Complimentary offer: Microsoft will make a complimentary copy of Windows XP available to customers who have been sold counterfeit Windows. Customers will be required to submit a proof of purchase, the counterfeit CD, and a counterfeit report with details of their purchase. Only high-quality counterfeit Windows will qualify for the complimentary offer.
* Electronic License Key Offer: Microsoft will offer an alternative for customers who find out via the WGA validation process that they are not running genuine Windows, but do not qualify for, or choose not to take advantage of, the complimentary offer. These customers will be able to license a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP online for a price of $99 for Windows XP Home edition or $149 for Windows XP Professional. The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP will include a new 25-character Product Key and a Windows Product Key Update tool that will allow customers to convert their counterfeit copy to genuine Windows XP electronically.

Please note this forum post is two years old; MS might have changed their policy since then. Still, getting legal is the best way to go. Buy an XP CD, backup your data, and try a repair install first.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I can boot up in safe mode, I can choose Administrator,then the MS banner comes up again, with choices to resolve now or resolve later, this is when my keyboard becomes inoperative. I guess my only choice is to set up that hd as a slave on another computer, and try to copy the data. Will there be any problems with that setup?
Regard,
vidkid

Strange thing to me is why would it freeze up KB and mouse..therein lies the problem methinks.

vidkid said:
I guess my only choice is to set up that hd as a slave on another computer, and try to copy the data. Will there be any problems with that setup?

First thing I would do upon hooking it up to another PC would be to run a virus scan on the entire disk. Yes, you should then be able to go in and get your files.

robmazco said:
Strange thing to me is why would it freeze up KB and mouse..therein lies the problem methinks

I think the problem is not the keyboard and mouse as much as it is Windows itself. It's simply not working any more. If you can't get around in it you can't fix anything. I don't know if this is part of MS' procedures or if the machine is locked due to a virus/spyware.

I have searched MS' site:
and found no declaration that a non-genuine installation will be locked, so finding a repair might be possible, but if neither USB nor PS/2 works, then how do you navigate to solve the problem?

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back