Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

key field property is not unique??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2006
US
Hello,

I have two tables with the same id numbers, and when I put those two together in a 'view' and I want to update three
fields in the second table. I keep get a message: "the key defined by the keyfield property for table xxx!persons is not unique.

How can I fix this keyfield table the second table or maybe I am using views in the wrong way to update.
charles

wnscc@wnscc.org

When you say "put those two together," do you mean that you're doing a JOIN between the two tables to get data for the same key into the same record, or that you're doing a UNION to bring all the records into a single data set?

Tamar

Dear TamarGranor,

I put the two table in the environment of a view and 'join'
them with the same dex_id. Now what I want to do is
"replace all "field" x with "field" y in table 2, and I always get the message, "the key defined by the keyfield property for table 1 is not unique."

Maybe that will clarify the point and before hand thank you.

Charlesmac

So you've created a relation between them in the DE? In that case, you should be able to use a command like:

REPLACE ALL fieldX WITH Table2.FieldY IN Table1

The error you're getting doesn't look like one that would come from a REPLACE command. At what point does it appear?

Tamar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back