Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

kernel32.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serban

Programmer
Sep 25, 2001
RO
Hi!

I have Window NT4 SP 6 and if I look with Quick View in the kernel32 library I dont find the api function ProcessFirst and ProcessNext. Where can I find this functions?

Thanks
Serban

Well, I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about but here goes, the functions are actually called Process32Next and Process32First.

Visual Basic API Declareation:
Private Declare Function Process32Next Lib "KERNEL32.DLL" (ByVal hSnapshot As Long, ByRef lppe As LPPROCESSENTRY32) As Long

Private Declare Function Process32First Lib "KERNEL32.DLL" (ByVal hSnapshot As Long, ByRef lppe As LPPROCESSENTRY32) As Long

Here is the MSDN definition of Process32First:

Retrieves information about the first process encountered in a system snapshot.

BOOL WINAPI Process32First(HANDLE hSnapshot,
LPPROCESSENTRY32 lppe);

Parameters

hSnapshot Handle to the snapshot returned from a
previous call to the CreateToolhelp32Snapshot
function.
lppe Pointer to a PROCESSENTRY32 structure.

Return Value
Returns TRUE if the first entry of the process list has been copied to the buffer or FALSE otherwise. The ERROR_NO_MORE_FILES error value is returned by the GetLastError function if no processes exist or the snapshot does not contain process information.

Remarks
The calling application must set the dwSize member of PROCESSENTRY32 to the size, in bytes, of the structure. Process32First changes dwSize to the number of bytes written to the structure. This will never be greater than the initial value of dwSize, but it may be smaller. If the value is smaller, do not rely on the values of any members whose offsets are greater than this value.

To retrieve information about other processes recorded in the same snapshot, use the Process32Next function.

QuickInfo
Windows NT: Requires version 5.0 or later.
Windows: Requires Windows 95 or later.
Windows CE: Unsupported.
Header: Declared in tlhelp32.h.
Import Library: Use kernel32.lib.

Here is the MSDN Information on Process32Next:

Retrieves information about the next process recorded in a system snapshot.

BOOL WINAPI Process32Next(HANDLE hSnapshot,
LPPROCESSENTRY32 lppe);

Parameters
hSnapshot Handle to the snapshot returned from a
previous call to the
CreateToolhelp32Snapshot function.
lppe Pointer to a PROCESSENTRY32 structure.

Return Value
Returns TRUE if the next entry of the process list has been copied to the buffer or FALSE otherwise. The ERROR_NO_MORE_FILES error value is returned by the GetLastError function if no processes exist or the snapshot does not contain process information.

Remarks
To retrieve information about the first process recorded in a snapshot, use the Process32First function.

QuickInfo
Windows NT: Requires version 5.0 or later.
Windows: Requires Windows 95 or later.
Windows CE: Unsupported.
Header: Declared in tlhelp32.h.
Import Library: Use kernel32.lib.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Best Regards,
Nathan Martini
Advanced Computer Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor