Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kernel won't re-link - kslgen error

Status
Not open for further replies.

tviman

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
US
When re-linking the kernel, I'm getting the following error:

kslgen: cannot determine major/minor numbers for node /dev/DEVFS

I don't know enough about SCO to know where or how to fix this. I can't relink the kernel until this is resolved. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The message "kslgen: cannot determine major/minor numbers for node /dev/[some device]" should be understood to mean "/dev/[some device] is not properly documented by a node file in /etc/conf/node.d".

where you trying to add a new disk (internal or external)? it may not be supported or you may need to manually configure it before rebuilding the kernel.

And in order to be able to help further can you state SCO Version, if running on a VM or physical box.
And if trying to add a new device to the system what is the device type, brand and model.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Frederico,

Sorry for the lack of detail. This is SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 and it is running on a VMware ESXi server. (Was moved from a VM Server 2.0 machine to the ESXi server about 4 months ago.) I'm not at the server location so I can't be 100% certain if a drive has been added but I highly doubt it as the administrators of the ESXi machine know little about SCO. I'm concerned about the /DEVFS error - I don't know where in SCO to look for the configuration info.

Why was the kernel rebuilt? this should normally only be done if something has changed.

you may need to get some paid support to help you with this as unfortunatly most people that used to work with SCO are long gone from that and don't even have access to a machine with it or even documentation. Just be prepared for it.

Some one with kernel level Linux experience may also be able to help you - should they be willing - as internals all follow the same philosophy.

the following links may (or not) be of help.
- although mostly for new installs

although mostly targetting v 5.07.03 and v6 it still contains the older versions documentation - and what applies to 5.07 also applies in its majority to 5.06.

Regarding current machine you should be able to boot from unix.old and then look at how to fix it.
and I would speak with the VM admins and see if anything at all changed on the vm host - sometimes the simple fact of moving from one host to another can raise these type of issues.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

The reason for the re-link was due to an increase in the ptty count. Had to increase from 32 to 64 which requires a re-link of the kernel.

If it was a hard disk you could see the partitioning with divvy. Suspect that you could use divvy /dev/DEVFS (I suspect this is a failed filesystem add) and see what hard drive it is mounted on.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

not much I can do as I don't have that version to play around neither do I have the same setup as you do.

but kslgen is a script on /etc - one of the things it does is change to /etc/strcf.d and process the scripts there - you can try and see which ones are there and see if you can make any sense of the one that is messing up.

This is related to tcp/ip so maybe on your particular system this is causing an issue in one of the scripts - which you may no longer need when running on a VM.

Reading the contents of those scripts (and you most likely have one named DEVFS or with a content with that word) which may no longer be required - but only by looking at them and seeing what they are for it is possible to determine that.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Frederico,

Thank you for the info. From what you've given me I think I can find my way now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back