Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kernel-Devel-SMP - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimonet

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2001
US
am trying to install VMWARE for linux and it won't compile because the source code I have installed is 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5 and I need 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5smp. I have looked and looke and I can't find an smp RPM package.

Does anyone know where I can find an smp rpm package for 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5smp? I tried doing yum update but that just brought down the non smp package. I really need help.

Thanks,

Dimo

Are you talking the kernel source or a precompiled kernel?
If just the source, the code should be good, it's simply a matter of recompiling the kernel with smp support. Unless of course Fedora is doing something weird that I'm unaware of....Sorry, I'm more of a Mandrake or SUSE user.

I am talking about source. I have the 2096 source but not for SMP. I am having trouble finding the 2096 smp source rpm.

You have to forigve me I am sort of a newb. But I went to that page and the highest rev i could find was 2080 and I am running 2096. Is the something there I could get to make my source match my kernel? I am a little confused.

Thanks,
Dimo

Also I downloaded kernel-suspend2-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2080_2.99.rhfc5.cubbi_suspend2_8k.i686.rpm (Which I don't think is the right rev unless the 2080 vs 2096 doesn't matter) And I get this error when I try to run the RPM.

warning: kernel-suspend2-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2080_2.99.rhfc5.cubbi_suspend2_8k.i686.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 66534c2b
error: Failed dependencies:
/usr/sbin/hardlink is needed by kernel-suspend2-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2080_2.99.rhfc5.cubbi_suspend2_8k.i686

sounds like rpm may be cracked, but honestly, I cannot say with any certainty. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back