Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

kernel compiling & module dependencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScreamerChaotix

Technical User
Jul 26, 2002
US
I'm running mandy 9.1 2.4.21, but recently I tried recompiling it to install a patch a friend of mine had given me. I managed to apply the patch, set the things I wanted installed in the new kernel, and then compile it. It boots up fine, but the new kernel can't find anything I used to have. For example, my ethernet won't work because it can't find eth0. I read online and learned it might have something to do with the modules, so I deleted the old directory and tried again. Nothing. Then I got an older kernel, 2.4.19, and tried compiling that. Compilation went off without a hitch, but once again, no eth0, and I get a bunch of "FAILED"'s throughout the POST. Is this a module error? Or do I merely have to activate everything I need through xconfig first? I saw that networking and PCI support were to be installed, is there something I'm missing? Thanks for any help.

Did you include support for your network card and other hardware that you have?

//Daniel

I only added in the things that were required for the patch to work. To be honest, I have no idea what else to select. I saw networking and PCI already configured, so I had no idea I would have to do more. How can I get eth0 up and running? Or do I need to figure that out on my own?

Try booting with your old kernel. Carefully read through the [tt]dmesg[/tt] output and you should be able to figure out what kernel options you need.

//Daniel

If you're lucky the file (when booting your old kernel) /proc/config.gz has the configuration for your kernel. Start with this and then go with Daniels suggestion.

Cheers

Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

The only config file I have for the kernel I'm using now is in /boot/config, and that's a soft link to config-2.4.21-0.13mdk. The 2.4.19 kernel I tried to get running has a configuration file in there as well, and from what I can see they're almost identical. I'll play around some more, one of these days I'll get a new kernel to actually work :p Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back