Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

kernel compile odometer didn't click

Status
Not open for further replies.

verland

MIS
Apr 24, 2002
US
I just recompiled a kernel and everything seems great, but for some reason the build number (what's the real term?) didn't kick over. See below -

Linux evil-tim 2.4.19 #1 Tue Nov 19 09:23:55 CST 2002 i586 unknown

Isn't the #1 after the version the number of times you've compiled the kernel? How does it do so? It doesn't increment on this machine. Not that it's a problem, just curious :)

btw I don't 'make install' my kernels I copy them by hand, if that helps. thanks!

Hi,
you can't tell how many times you've compiled the kernel.
Not sure what the #1 is but have a look at 'man uname' that's where it comes from.

Cheers Henrik Morsing
IBM Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration

According to "Running Linux" the number is how many times the kernel has been compiled. What incremements it I have no idea, but have seen it click up on other boxen except this one.

Hi,
just did some research and what you're reading is correct, in theory. I've never seen it being other than one and probably for a good reason.

The version number is kept in the file /usr/src/linux/.ver and will be overridden if you untar a new kernel (or the same one).
If it's your first kernel compile, it will be #1 build.
If you do a 'uname -v' focus on the time stamp, that is much more reliable. Also check 'uname r'.

If these two are correct then your new kernel has been install correctly.

Cheers Henrik Morsing

Wow that's cool. I don't have anything in usr/src/linux as I build kernels in my home dir, maybe that's why it's always 1.

And before someone says 'you do it wrong, dummy' note that some FAQ's say build in usr/src, some say build in ~/. I picked home

Thanks for the info Morsing!

Ok, I assumed you did it in /usr/src/linux. The file follows the kernel source :)

I have only seen it being one too, so maybe it doesn't always work...

Cheers Henrik Morsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back