Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kernal Panic 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickiePotter

Programmer
Jan 8, 2001
GB
Please help,
I have always wanted to use Linux,
I have a computer which I nolonger use and want to install Linux onto:

Pentium 100
1.8GB hard drive
Wave table soundcard
16 bit monitor
8x CD Rom drive (temprimental)

I have tried many RED HAT versions, inc. 6
Corel Linux
and SUSE inux

None of these installed properly and every boot returned 'Kernel Panic' exept SUSE which booted once, I loaded the gui, Shutdown. And it never booted again, it just returned the same old error message.

Please help, I would realy like to become a Linux user. (they have all the fun you know)

It seems that your computer have hardware problems, like memory fail.
When you install RedHat format partitions with check an see if there are some errors.
Good luck

I have tried this and it dousn't flag any problems.
Are there any particular pieces of incompatable hardware on which Linux has problems (please send me a list if so).
I realy want to fix this problem.

I didn't discover any particular hardware problems...
I still need help...
What exactly is this error?
What might be causing it?
:-(

Boot with a DOS/Win boot disk with the fdisk program on it.
type

fdisk /mbr

That will repair the Master Boot Record of your hard drive and clean out any old lilo's hanging around. However, I don't think that will fix your problem. I think Dan above is correct. Try to swap some sticks and reseating/replacing processors (You can buy on for 4 dollars) and see if the problem continues. Use a Toms Root Boot (if you are able) and see if the machine will boot off of it. if it does, see if you can mount the hard drive. Try the same thing with a Windows Boot disk. Then there's always the cement test. Throw it out the window and see if it can fly or break cement. If it flys try
war...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back