Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keeps losing Printer default

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc559966

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
GB
I currently look after a windows 2000 network running in mixed mode as we still have 1 NT4 server and a 10 NT4 clients. I recently upgraded the NT4 server to Windows 2000 server and would like to upgrade the clients, however, I'm having problems with NT4 user roaming profiles in that when a user logs into a new windows 2000 professional pc, they report that it keeps losing the default printer. I'm sure its down to the user profile but can not be sure. I've tried both local printer ports and network print server ports, but still no joy. I would like to avoid losing their original NT4 profile if possible.

I had the same problem with a roaming profile. It drove me nuts. I eventually wiped out all copies of the profile to resolve it. However this script was my bandaid till I was ready to wipe out the profiles. I simply added this to my Windows Startup folder so I did not have to mess with my AD.
Just save the below text to a text file and give it a vbs extension.

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
'Change the server path below to match your printer
WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\Server\HP4000"

Thanks for that.

I have tried putting the vbs script in the startup folder, however, the default printer is still lost after several minutes of working. Its really weird because all the printers still show within the printers folder in the control panel, but the system will just pick the printer at the top of the list. No printer shows as being default.

I'm not sure whether it is the profile of SP4 (wk2000) that is causing the problem.

Any help would be most appreciated.

I'd try experimenting with one user. Save all their settigns then delete the profile from both the server and workstation. Create a new profile and I bet the problem goes away. At least that is what fixed it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back