Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keeping same personal directory when loging into a diff. domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LenRI

Programmer
Jul 15, 2003
US
My (very) remote site is currently in the process of migrating some of the clients to a different domain. The question is in regards to whether it is possible without too much headache and more importantly without much participation from the users or admin staff for that matter for users to be able to have a login into the new domain while maintaining their specific user profiles, outlook, IE, my documents, etc... settings when logging into the new domain. If I understand the underlying structure correctly I suppose the question is whether they can automatically maintain the same personal directory in the Documents and Settings directory. The client machines that this needs to be accomplished on are win2k and NT4.

The AMDT tool gives you the option to migrate workstations to the new domain as well as moving their profile on the workstations. This way all the user has to do is leave their workstation switched on, you migrate the workstations along with their profile from the server-end, then when the users come in the next workday, get them to login to the new domain. All their setting will remain the same. I have used this for NT workstations but am not sure wether it works with 2K Pro workstations. Actually ADMT can migrate all your user accounts from the old domain to the new one. Also depending on the version of ADMT you use, the users passwords will not be kept. You get an option of changing passwords to something like username1 for eg. The Newest ADMT can migrate passwords as well. Hope that is a help to start things off in this discussion. Please have a look:

Claudius (What certifications??)

Apologies if you already know this and it sounds condescending, but if it's just a few clients, copying the profiles to 'Default User' will let them continue using current settings when they logon to the new domain and a new profile is created.

I would go with claudek's suggestion. Simply copying the profiles over doesn't work well. Unless you move the user like above, they'll end up with a different SID and then they won't have the permissions to access the old profile. You end up having to adjust the security permissions of all the old profiles.

Claudek and Seaspray0,

How exactly do I go about using the ADMT to accomplish what I need to do?

Len

Install the tools from the 2000 CD. Look for the tools folder, these files are not installed normally. Once installed, start>programs>2k support tools>open the tools help and under network management tools, take a look at MOVETREE. You might also want to take a look at SIDWALKER and Clone Principal (I believe it will do 2k to 2k as well). The help gives you nice descriptions on the functions of each of these. These tools will assist you greatly in moving objects to another domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back