Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keeping people from the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisabennett

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
CA
I am having a problem with people connecting to the Internet that should not have access. If a user does not have permissions to install the TCP/IP & DNS how are they doing this. Can you add a DNS by using a DOS promt?
Any ideas on how users are doing it and how to stop that if they know the DNS IP.
Any help at all will be appreciated.
LIsa

just block all unneeded ports at your router/firewall
you dont need dns for many things, like p2p uses ips often

I would also recommend changing passwords for those who have the rights to change things, i.e. Administrators etc and dont make them too obvious.

If this is a real problem you might want to require all interent access to pass through a proxy server and setup permissions on the proxy server that grant or deny users access to the interent based on their user id.

or block them straight at your router ... even proxies can be bypassed

Is it possible that someone who has internet access rights be giving out their password to those who haven't access?

I have changed all the box's to NOT be DHCP enabled. But is it possible to add DNS using a DOS prompt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back