Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keeping GWIA loaded even with POA down

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigugly

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2002
US
Hey there folks,
I'm running GW 6.0, with the POA and MTA on our main server (NW 5.1)and the GWIA and Webaccess on a seperate server (NW 6.0).

My question is this: Is there anyway to keep the GWIA loaded even if the POA is down?

I've run into a few situations where the GWIA shut down because it lost it's connection to the POA. I'm trying to avoid situations where we would "Lose" incoming email.

Even if the POA IS down for an extended period of time, it'd be really nice to be able to fire it back up and have the GWIA hand over messages that it has queued up...

Any ideas?

Hi,

Yes you can. Mail will be accepted by GWIA. Once the MTA and POA are back up, the MTA will deliver the mail to the POA.

Lou

Ooh. How is it done? Do I have to load the gwia with certain switches?

Hi,

Nothing special needs to be done. Just keep it loaded.

Lou

I believe you're thinking of the GWIA being on the same machine.

If the GWIA is run on a seperate box than the POA and MTA (I believe Novell calls this config "Remote"), and the POA goes down, then the GWIA will automatically exit not long after it loses connection with the post office.

I'd like to make it so that the GWIA stays up, even without a post office connection.

Hi,

If that's true I have never run into it. I have had the GWIA running on the same machine as the GroupWise system and on a remote machine. Have you tried it, does it go down? I know that you may have to unload and reload the GWIA once GroupWise is back up but I have never heard of the GWIA unloading itself. I could be wrong, anyone else other ever hear of this?

Lou

Just tested it. If I disconnect that server from the network, GWIA almost immediately goes into a shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back