Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keeping graphics and text in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

webguy

MIS
Oct 19, 1998
US
I have been creating pages, for quite sometime, and have yet to find an easy way to nail down images and text, so when the browser window is resized, everything stays where its at. I have been using tables and blank images such as:<br>
<br>
&lt;table cols=2 width="700"&gt;<br>
&lt;tr&gt;<br>
&lt;td width="20"height="1"&gt;&lt;img src="blank.gif width="20" height="1"&gt;<br>
&lt;/td&gt;<br>
&lt;td&gt; &lt;images or text here&gt;&lt;/td&gt;<br>
&lt;/tr&gt;<br>
&lt;/table&gt;<br>
is there an easier way to do pages without all the tables and blank images.<br>
thanks in advance

as a side note, Iam aware of the &lt;spacer&gt; tag, but this only works if viewing the pages with Netscape. The pages must be viewable in both Netscape and IE

Keeping things exactly in place is very hard to do and all of the solutions that I have seen do exactly as you are doing right now. <br>
<br>
A few websites have gone to a huge graphic as the page to keep everything in place but until I get high speed internet access I tend to hit stop before these pages fully load. <br>
<br>
Most documentation that I have seen says to not worry too much about trying to force users to see your page in a certain way but to try and make your page look good in a variety of sizes and browsers.

There's always DHTML if you know your audience has a DHTML compliant browser (like an intranet with a set browser). Maybe IE5's new document object model will fall more in line with the W3C standard. *fingers crossed*

You should take a look at using layers. Although I think your target audience will need 4.x + browsers they do offer a way of pinning down blocks of text or images with pixel precision. You basically define a rectangular area with top and left pixel values, and place you html code with this layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back