Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keeping fpw2.6 alive and well

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpwlives

Programmer
Feb 11, 2020
US
I published a fpw2.6 program 20 years ago. I have lept it alive through every Windows version including windows 10 pro 64 but. Last month Microsoft announced that support for windows 7 was over so I turned towards windows 10 pro for help. Turns out that it is so easy. The quick of it is as follows:

** Run the 32 bit version of windows 10 pro on a 64 bit windows 10 pro virtual machine via hyper-V**

Find a computer running 64 bit windows 10 pro (the server)
Go into your computers bios and enable intel virtualization
Go to Windows features and enable hyper-V

set up an external virtual switch pointing it to your net interface card
create a new virtual machine via the hyper-v management snippet (generation 1)
download the *32* ISO version of windows 10 pro
install the 32 bit windows 10 onto the virtual machine
install FPW.6 on the virtual machine and BANG - It is alive

Neil
details are available if you never set up a virtual machine on windows 10

To understand this you should also point out why the 32bit subsystem of a 64bit Windows 10 is not sufficient. Legacy Foxpro needs 16bit support, one level older.

I thought I found and posted twice, how you can enable this on 64bit windows, too. thread184-1795072 =>
Then you won't need a VM.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

Good morning and many thanx,

It's so great that this material is still being discussed. If you go into best buy and purchase a 64 bit windows pro computer and attempt to use fpw2.6, you are out of luck. If you attempt to turn on legacy features on that that 64 bit version of windows 10, you will find that support for 32 bit apps is not even present. You must be running the 32 bit version of windows 10 pro to have 32 bit legacy support. Yes, the 16 bit version of fpw2.6 runs with 32 bit legacy support. So, the pearl here is that once you are running a 32 bit version of windows 10 pro you have the ability to turn 32 bit application legacy support on.

So back to best buy example. Any computer, straight out of the box, will have windows 10 *64 bit* (hopefully pro). To run fpw2.6, you will have to run it on the a 32 bit version of windows 10 pro with legacy support enabled. The most recent version of window 10 32 bit pro actually recognizes that fpw.26 requires legacy support and installs it for you on the fly with no effort on your part.

I like the idea of running the 32 version of windows in a virtual machine because I get all of the resources available to the 64 bit version of windows 10 pro while having the ability to run fpw2.6.

Neil

No, there are no pure 64bit Windows versions, you always have SysWow64 and that runs VFP 32it versions. Office 32bit, etc.

Bye, Olaf.

Thank you for your continued interest in this thread.

WINDOWS 75?
vfp?

I am working with windows 10 pro 64/32 and FPW2.6. If you know of a way to get FPW2.6 to function in a 64bit version of windows10 pro using syswow.. , please advise me as to how I may do this.

Neil

75 was meant to be 64. (EDited)

The link about what to activate in Windows to offer the necessary 16bit compatibility for legacy Foxpro versions is given, isn't it?
The first link is just the thread in which I recommended the second link already. As it was given two stars I assume it worked for someone.

Bye, Olaf.

As far as I know FoxPro 2.6 will only work on a 32bit version of Windows.
I now use FoxPro 2.6 on 64bit Windows 10 using vDos, which works very well.
John

But FPW isn't fox dos. Again, all you need on a 64but OS is to activate the NTVDM component. It's not the missing 32bit, it's the missing 16bit support of Win10 that hinders legacy Foxpro to run. 32bit Windows is a solution, as it gives you that 16 butt support. But you can have 64bit/32bit subsystem and 16bit in one system, not using any vDos, Tamedos or VM.

Edit - Correction: You may always need a dos to run fpd apps, but then also won't profit from the NTVDM component activation. But when Win10 can run legacy office with this, I strongly assume vfpw also works. As said I don't use legacy foxpro, but as nobody ever reports explictly and only stars posts, we'll never know. It's still just activating a component, it takes a few minutes of your time to try. Confirm what you know or learn how this extends your possibility regarding legacy software. It obviously does for some legacy software, so it's not just a shot in the dark, that it enables some software. The worst case is you still can't run FPW and need your VM, in the best case you run without the virtualisation overhead.

You just have to activate the NTVDM before even installing FPW, it is already necessary to be able to run the setup of legacy software. The groovypost.com howto article tells it in that order, too.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf, I don't think you can install NTVDM on the 64bit Windows 10

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back