Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keeping data in datasheet or form view

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewizz

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2003
CA
Hi i would like to know if anybody know if i can keep some data in a field in datasheet view & or Form view ?
i whant teh user to select a cathegorie but i dont whant to keep the data in the same table so i setup a "Type" table
plus a parts table & a Item table in PArt i have the Type info for that sepecific item that is how i filter by selecting a type in a field witch is looked up in the type table. Works for filtering but when i change te type the entire type colum changes to the selected type.
I think i have to change the my control source to the type in the hardware & kinda lookup to the selected product no
got any sugestions ?

im kinda lost here !

Tanks to ya all ...
Thewizz

Hi

From your explanation, I suspect the Type Column is unbound?

I afraid I do not follow you explanation of your datastructure, suggest you:

Switch to a continous form rather than a datasheet and put a single occurence of teh tyope in the head or footer section

or

if the datasheet is not a sub form, make it so and put the type on the main form

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

tanks for replying
the field Type is unbound indeed
to shortly explain the thing a have 3 table one for the list Types[table_type] of harware one for items[table_items] (for each individual parts) & one for given products info [table_products] (witch uses the type table for a field) onAfterupdate event of the [type]dropbox trigers a lookup to the poduct table witch fills the dropbox of the noproduit in table item that enables the user to choose products by type & keep only the product number in table items all that in a continuous form or datasheet form i supect that the type dropbox does not keep its selected data. one way may be a temporary table to set the lookup of the table but how would i do that ?

thewizz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back