Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KEEPING A SYSTEM ADMIN. BOOK 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisabennett

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
CA
HELLO,
I AM TAKING OVER THE IT IN MY COMPANY . THE PERSON THAT WAS DOING THIS BEFORE HAD NO BOOK AND WAS PRETTY MUCH DOING EVERYTHING FROM MEMORY.
THIS HAS MADE EVERYTHING I TRY TO DO VERY DO DIFFICULT. I WANT TO CREATE A SYSTEMS ADMIN BOOK, BUT I'M UNSURE OF WHAT SHOULD BE KEPT IN IT. I DON'T WANT TO KEEP TOO MUCH, OR NOT KEEP SOMETHING THAT MAY BE NEEDED. IF YOU COULD SHARE WHAT IS IT YOURS , ID APPRICIATE IT.
THANKS,
LISA

The problem with Access is that to have a search engine is pretty hard to implement. Instead the closest (in my very, very limited knowledge) I could think of it a parameter query for the date of when the problem happened.

Needless to say it didn't work! :)

I service a number of clients, so what I do is have a private website where I have my own knowledge base which can be searched using a basic JavaScript search engine. That way client and users can lookup data on the site, and so can I if I forget how I solved this problem.

For stuff like network configuration: I keep a basic paper file on each clients network stating IP's, switches, router and basic network settings (like DHCP, WINS etc). This way I can just pull it out when I need to. I don't need anything in such detail like where each user normally sits! Event view will tell me that if I really need to find out.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. For example, if you have a large network, use colour coded stickers on certian parts or even various coloured cables. These little things make a big difference when your working at 2am troubleshooting.

Stevehewitt - "The problem with Access is that to have a search engine is pretty hard to implement."

Is that really you being critical of a Microsoft product?

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back