Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep users from going 'behind' the forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwash

Technical User
May 27, 2002
US
How do you keep users from accessing the tables, queries and so forth.

I do not want users to be able to go to 'design view', or minimize or whatever to get to the the underlying tables.

Is creating a custome tool bar the only way to accomplish this? Or is there some other
way?

I played around with the properties, but that didn't seem to do what I'm wanting.

TIA

You can use the "User and Group Permission" tool to limit users' access to tables.
Certainly, you need to set up user accounts for all users first.

seaport

I've got two books of Access and not one shows how to work the 'security'!!! As a matter of fact...'security' is not even mentioned in the index!!

Does anyone know where I can find a free tutorial on-line on how to work the security feature of Access?

TIA

I just checked Access 2000 help. Setting up security is in the list.

By the way, setting up security has nothing to do with VBA. Open the help file when the VB editor is closed.

Seaport

I had to do some research into this subject (security). The best reference I could find was in the Que publication of Special Edition of Using Microsoft Access 97 (pgs 881-891). Another reference is in the Osbourne publication of The Complete reference Access 2000 (pgs 1084-1109). The second was not as clear, I felt but but it might help you some. Hoe this helps.

You didn't mention whether or not you wanted *someone* to be able to go "behind the forms", so to speak.

The easiest way to accomplish what you describe is to make an .mde file. Everything is compiled and no one can edit forms, queries, reports, etc. Nada.

If you need to release a new version of the database and import all the information from the old one, there are ways to do that.

Hope this helps!

Onwards,

Q-

Simple really... Click on Tools / Startup. This opens the Start Up dialog. In the Start Up dialog do the following:

1 - Enter an Application Title
2 - Select a Form to display on Load
3 - If desired select an ICON
4 - Remove the Check in the Display DataBase Window box
5 - Leave Check in Display Status Bar
6 - Remove Check in Allow Full Menus
7 - Remove Check in Allow Default Shortcut Menus (unless really needed...)
8 - Remove Check in Allow Built-in Toolbars
9 - Remove Check in Allow Toolbar/Menu Changes
10 - Remove Check in Allow Viewing Code After Error
11 - Remove Check in Use Access Special Keys

Now the next step is to password protect the application.

First you need to open the Database in Exclusive Mode, this is located in the open dialog box on the lower right hand side. Once the database is open in Exclusive mode Click on /Tools/Security/Set DataBase Password. This will open the Database password dialog. Enter a password then close. Done deal! No need to compile, unless really required, the back end is locked down. And no need to fight the Access Security nightmare!!! I am on a huge network and so far I have only managed to get the Access 97 Security tools to work on my desktop but not others.... pain in the kiester. Anyhow if you need to gain access to the back end for whatever reason then simply start Access enter the password then hold SHIFT+F11 and press ENTER and this will allow you to get into the back end. Just make sure to keep that partricular secret a secret!

I have a fairly comprehensive white paper on setting up Access Security (step by step) on my website - it was not authored by me, but I am hosting it.

It might help. And the price is right....

Another method you can use is to hide and/or remove all the toolbars and such that even suggest to a user to click VIEW/DESIGN or whatever; and make the form modal - this involves a little more control via coding, but it is pretty foolproof.

Jim How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hand...
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

MkIIISupra and WildHare, thanks for the new info.

I was also thinking about having Access (on start up) load a passworded form. But...when I opened the db I DID get the pw form to load first but I also saw the 'behind scenes' in the background I figured that this idea wasn't going to give me what I was looking for either. Since I'm not good at coding, I knew I was going down the wrong path by loading a pw form first.

MK...your idea sounds like something I will have to try.

Thanks for the idea.

cw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back