Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep reparing system files

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2000
GB
Hi, about every other time i shutdown i'm getting an error msg saying that a system file is corrupt and windows xp can't start. Anyway i copy the files from the windows\repair directory to my system32\config dir but its fast becomming a big pain in the ****. Can anyone help me with this? When i had winMe my PC would turn itself off when it shutdown XP doesn't it gives me a screen saying its now safe to turn your pc off.

Cheers

If you have already run a scandisk, and virus scan, and you are having to do this everytime you boot I would suggest completely reformatting your hard drive and reload the OS. It will be a lot less time consuming than having to copy the files to repair everytime.

WinXP does not turn my computer off
thread779-395859

See if there are any clues there.

You may have a hardware problem (memory, psu, cpu etc) - often manifests itself with apparently software problems & corrupt files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back