Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep losing my connection to the net. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 29, 2004
US
Hey guy's, can anyone explain to me why I have to reset my router about once a day in order to get on the internet? Once I unplug for about two minutes, I'm good to go for a while. Then, the next time I try to get on the net, I can't. I have a dynamic IP and it seems like everytime it renews, I can't get on the internet. I'm not sure. Thanks for the help.

How is the system set up? You using cable modem, dial up, what? Might be problems caused by your provider. Another thing, how long has this been going on? Has it ever worked correctly? Good luck.

Click here to learn Ways to help with Tsunami Relief
Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store

Thanks for the reply. I have a Direcway satelite connection for my ISP. This connection goes to a USR Broadband Router, then out to my computers. It did work for a while when I first hooked it up. I did a basic configuration on the router and it worked fine for a while. After it started losing the connection periodically, I set the router back to factory defaults, but the problem still persists. Also, I have seen this problem before with a USR Wireless Broadband Router connected to a Comcast high speed cable connection. I even tried to upgrade the firmware.

Take the USR Router out of the picture (direct connect a computer to the Direcway connection) to eliminate it as the source of the problem. Then if your problem persists, call your ISP and get them to help you resolve it.

When you lose your connection, what does ipconfig /all show. I had a very similar problem using a cable modem and wireless router. Cable company didn't want to help, so since I was using basic dhcp, I created a batch file for ipconfig /relelase, then ipconfig /renew. Once cable realized I knew what I was talking about, they helped me out. Turned out I needed to clone the mac address of my nic to the router so cable only saw one ip. Once they told me what I needed to do, I did it and haven't had a problem since. Good luck.

Click here to learn Ways to help with Tsunami Relief
Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back