Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep Losing Internet Connection !

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxcolin

Technical User
Oct 14, 2001
CA
here's my situation:
I have 2 pcs (both win2k) that were connected via dlink router. All was good on both - internet connection and file sharing.

That is until... the router died.
So I happily picked up a brand new linksys router.
I believe it's their standard wireless version.
I'm not using the wireless option though, both pcs are connected with linksys ethernet.

I lose the connection in 1 of 2 ways.
Either it dies after re-boot or just all by itself after 1 or 2 hours.
The solution: I unplug the router from the power bar(power source) for about 20 sec. After I plug it back in it works.
However, I can't keep doing this 10 times a day !

So I thought maybe it's not the router. I disconnect it and hook up only 1 of the computers. Same thing happens.

I have contacted tech support for both Linksys and my ISP, to no avail. I think we trouble-shooted just about everything. One suggestion that I was told is that my Ip address is not being 'automatically renewed'

---------------------------
Here's what I've tried:
-uncheck and re-check tcp/ip
-uninstall and reinstall tcp/ip
-uninstall tcp/ip, reboot, re-install tcp/ip, reboot
-complete shutdown of pc, router, modem and then 1 by 1 restart each one
-unplug modem for a couple of hours and then plug back in
-exchanged router for new one
-uninstall and re-install ethernet adapter
---------------------------

Also, there's the file sharing:
both computers can see the other, but when I click on it, it won't connect. Everything seems to be enabled properly.
When all this began to happen, I didn't make any changes.
Maybe i have to put a directive in the control pabnel of the router, I dunno !

I'm also running:
cable modem
Sygate firewall
McAfee Antivirus
IE 5.5 with all latest updates
Win 2k service pack 4 (I'm wondering now if this has something to do with it, since I installed sp4 around the same time)

Event Viewer:
I've seen several entries like this:
'Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private IP Address 169.254.53.243 will be assigned to dial-in clients. Clients may be unable to access resources on the network.'

Firewall Log Files: (maybe this is a clue)
In the traffic log files, I'm getting lots of incoming hits from 'an IP similar to mine' going to another 'IP address similar to mine' -AND- going to 255.255.255.255 using protocals 'UDP' and 'ICMP'. For internet access, supposed to be 'TCP', right?
-I have not made any 'advanced rules'

I don't know what else to try ???
I hope someone can help me, and offer a suggestion.
I'd be very grateful

Thanks

" a pat on the back... is only
18 inches away from a kick in the arse "

Web Development
Web Hosting
Hosting For Web Designers

I've seen personal firewalls (like Sygate) play havoc with Linksys and D-Link routers before (especially if the routers have built-in firewall protection). You may have already tried this, but have you disabled Sygate altogether and then checked to see if your problems still exist?

I just recently had this problem with my Linksys wireless router. The router would continually reset the cable modem -- as in the power light would shut off, turn on, to through the communication cycle, shut off again, and repeat. I unhooked my router and all is well.

What I noticed prior to disconnecting my router is that it was no longer accepting DHCP from the cable modem. I even unplugged the router to see if that would force it to accept a new IP -- no good. I'm going to play with it some more this weekend. I will most likely end up having to reset the router and reconfigure it.

I ran into a similar problem with a Linksys WAP11. It would simply die every day or two. Wouldn't even respond via the HTML config page with a michine that was hardwired into it!

After wasting my time trying to talk to Linksys about the issue, I spent some time searching the Web. I found many references to this failure, along with the common experience of Linksys offering NO help, and even going as far as refusing to take calls from certain users (identified by item serial #).

This issue even lost me a Tech Support client.

My bottom line: Never buy Linksys again.

I have the same problem. I had my cable going directly to my NIC and had no problems. I installed a Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL router and NOW anytime I try to use Imesh or Kazaa, my connection drops after a period of about 30 minutes. I can restore it by toggling the DMZ feature in the router setup page. I've tried entering the port Imesh uses in port forwarding - same problem; I've cloned my MAC address - same problem; I've changed subnet and IP addresses - same problem; I've called Linksys techsupport - no solution. IF I surf the web while Imesh is running, the connection stays - it's almost as if it know whether or not I'm actively working on my computer. If I get up and go take a shower, when I come back, no connection. I've read roughly 10 instances of the same problem on different websites and nobody seems to have a solution. I've read that this is an issue with consumer grade routers. If anyone has a solution, PLEASE let me know.

I disconnected the Linksys BEFSR41 router and bought a D-Link DI-604 - connections stays, no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back