Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep Loosing connection even with strong signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhope

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
Have a linksys wireless router and several linksys wireless
USB adaptors. Set the network up, everything is working with a excellent sigal, then it will lose the signal and connection. Sometimes signal will reappear other times it will not. When connected is has good speed but cannot detirmine why it will lose connection for no reason that I can see. Could it be a cordless phone in the area causing this?

yes a phone can cause it but probably not.
one thing people commonly dont think of: is your usb adapter plugged into a usb hub? if so, it may not be recieving enough power - plug it directyl into the computer and see if that helps

-alok

You might try disabling Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service and use the Client that came with the USB devices instead.

Some computers work for with Zero config, and some do not.

I do have the usb adapters plugged directly into the computers. I am not using XP, have 98 on 3 computers and 2000 pro on another.

I do think it is a cordless phone, there is one in next office, (just on other side of the wall) that has spread spectrum. It looks like I am going to have to go wire, because I cannot get the system to stay up. I tried changing channels, rate of transmission, beacon settings, ect. and thought it works okay for the stations that are right next to the AP, the ones that are further away, continue to go off line.

Why don't you try using the 5Ghz spectrum instead? It can't be that hard to exchange the product you have with a 5GHz version or vice versa with 2.4

Make sure the rate setting for the adapters is set to Auto and not fixed at 11.

The phone explanation is an unlikely one.

Also, check the Linksys site to make certain that you have the most uptodate firmware and driver set for both the USB devices and the AP. The BEFWS11 series received a new driver package last week, for example.

i second the last post.

when useing wireless products it is always a good idea to have the LATEST firmware installed. why you say? because the main reason they are being updated is to fix those issues exactly (well, not to mention security)

at times admin's will think all's well and one day they update the firmware "just in case" and as a result, thier wireless users are asking what he did to fix it. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

You also might try these things in order:

1. Make certain you have not enabled 802.1x authentication for the client. If you had, disable it and try it for a while.

2. Still no luck? Disable Windows Wireless Zero Configuration and use the adapter client to configure and manage the card instead.

Okay, I have concluded it is the wireless phone that is causing the problem. I had I turned off so I could test my theory and sure enough as soon as it was turned off things started working fine, turn it back on and bam!! things start going crazy. So It is either wire or try 5ghz. At this point the customer is leaning toward wire just to get it done.

Thanks for the help.

I recently read about a tradefair where NOONE could get their wireless network to work - everyone had brought .11b and there was simply too much congestion on the band!

<marc>[ul]help us help![li]please give us feedback on what works / doesn't[/li][li]not sure where to start? click here: faq581-3339[/li][/sup][/ul][/sup]

Move the AP/router to the other side of the office.
You say the cordless phone base station is on the other side of the wall? Move the AP/router at least 10'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back