Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep having to reset passwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcse63

MIS
Jan 7, 2003
US
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this one, but lets see? I have windows 2000 server with IIS 5.0 installed. I have about 50 websites hosted on this box. For the past couple of months now I have been having to periodically reset the passwords for these accounts. This is driving the customers crazy and needless to say me also. I have searched microsoft to see if this is a known bug with no success, so maybe one of you has run into this before and solved it.

Thanks in Advance

I imagine you're talking about having to reset passwords for accounts that are used through IIS, right? (In other words, accounts that are used to log onto a web site.) Did you check to see if the accounts are set to have "Password never expires" checked? It's possible that the passwords are expiring (due to a domain policy). I'm not sure how/if you'd change your password via IIS. (Normally, if you were logging on directly to the domain via a workstation, it'd prompt you to change your password. I have no idea how that would happen when logging on via a web site, or if it's even possible.)

Hope this helps.

Well its good to know that I am on the same page as someone else anyway. I have checked to verify that passwords don't expire. You are correct pixboy, here is the scenario, a user is give a userid and password to make changes to there site with frontpage. Lately I recieve a page or email stating that there password is no longer working, once I login to the box and bring up the users. I reset there password and all is well. This has been an on going challenge that I have been dealing with. I have checked to be sure that there is not some sort of policy in place and that would be a negative. Any other thoughts?

thanks again

Do you have any sort of auditing enabled? That would at least show when users log on, and would show failed logon attempts.

Also, is there an account lockout policy? For example, you might have one that locks an account out after 5 unsuccessful attempts.

Thanks for advice pixboy, there wasn't a lockout policy in place on this box. I enable auditing for success and failure of logon attempts. Maybe this will give some clue as to what is happening. Only happens with this one webserver. I have 2 others that have given me 0 problems.

Strange. Hopefully the auditing will provide you with some useful information. Without a lockout policy, it doesn't really make any sense, but at least you'll have somewhere else to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back