Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep Groups Together Across Columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven4

Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
US
Crystal Version 11

I have a report with multiple groupings that has been created as a 3-column report. The data is grouped as follows:

Group 1: Event Name
Group 2: Company Name
Group 3: Attendee Name

The details section of my report is suppressed.

My issue is that I don't want the data for any particular company group to cross columns if the group breaks at the bottom of a column. Currently the data may appear as follows from one column to another:

Company A Attendee A4 Attendee B2
Attendee A1 Attendee B3
Attendee A2 Company B
Attendee A3 Attendee B1

But what I want to see is:

Company A Company B
Attendee A1 Attendee B1
Attendee A2 Attendee B2
Attendee A3 Attendee B3
Attendee A4

Is there a way to keep groups together across columns?

Thanks.

You can set the group footer to print at the bottom of the page.

-LB

I have a similar issue. I have a subreport with multiple addresses. The first group is on address type, the second group is the address itself and the detail is comprised of the phone numbers associated with each respective address. I have the subreport formatted into 2 columns with the setting to print across then down. I would like the addresses/phone numbers to stay together but what happens is groupheader#1 stays in column one, the address lines go to column 2, the first phone number goes down one row back to column 1, and the 2nd phone number goes to second row column 2 as follows:

Preferred P.O. Box 1234
Anytown, USA 12345

Cell 1: (123) 456-7890 Email 1: anyone@anywhere.com

I tried setting the section expert to print at the bottom of the page and the only thing that changed was the the report now spits out several pages of the same information in the same format. I don't really care so much about the address type group, but is there anyway to keep the address/phone numbers together and only move to a new column on a different address?

I am unclear on how you would want the final results to look. Can you please show a sample using two different instances of group #1 and nested groups?

-LB

Sure. Without any columns, the subreport prints as follows:

Preferred Address
P.O. Box 1234
Anytown, USA 12345
Phone 1: (123) 456-7890
Email 1: anyone@anywhere.com

With the format of 2 columns it looks like:

Preferred Address P.O. Box 1234
Anytown, USA 12345

Phone 1: (123) 456-7890 Email 1: anyone@anywhere.com

Preferred address is group#1 header. The address, city, state and zip are in group#2 header. The phone types are the detail.

I think you should use the mailing label expert to create this. You can still insert the two groups, but suppress the group sections and display all fields in the multiple detail sections.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back