Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep connection alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

M626

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
I am having a problem with this script. I connect to a mapped drive and test against a text file(listDir.txt) if those files listed in the text file are in the directory. if there is a file that is in the directory but not on the list, it get deleted. My problem is the drive become unavailable for a about 30 seconds sometimes because of congestion, is there a way i can have the script retry after so many seconds if it looses connection?

#------Start of Script-------

#!/usr/bin/perl
use File::Basename qw(basename);
use Tie::File;
use File::Copy;

use strict;

my $datafile = 'C:\Temp_83/listDir.txt';
my $datadir = 'T:\DataFiles';

tie my @array, 'Tie::File', $datafile or die "Can't open $datafile: $!";
my %files = map {basename($_) => 1} grep {! /^\s*$/} @array;
untie @array;

open(OUTFILE, "> C:/TEMP_83/DeletedFiles.log") or die "can't open outfile : $!\n";
for (grep {!$files{basename($_)}} glob("$datadir/*")) {
unlink or die "Can't unlink $_: $!";
print OUTFILE "$_\n";

}

If it's on a unix machine you can use alarm to start a timer and do something if it hangs or doesn't complete in that time frame. The alarm function doesn't work (or doesn't work well I can't remember which) on windows with activestate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

it's running on a windows machine.

why not just surround the whole script with a while statement and sleep for at the bottom?
$i = 1;
while ($i == 1) {
#Do some stuff and if you have any serious errors that should kill stop the script set $i to anything but 1.
sleep 30;
}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back