Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

kdscontroller.exe process using excessive memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwwillia

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2015
CA
Hello

We have a Micros Res 3700 (Version 5.2) site that has an issue with excessive memory usage by the KDScontroller.exe process. Normally we see 60-150 Meg's of memory usage with this service but at this one site we are seeing 1.5 gigs. Restarting the kdscontroller service causes high CPU usage (complete utilization of one core) for up to 1 hour. During this time, KDS will not work (White screen).

Has anyone come across a similar issue or have any ideas how to troubleshoot? For some background: The site was recently (in the last 3 months) upgraded from 4.7 to 5.2. We put in a new BOH at the same time (HP Proliant ML310e Gen7 running Windows 7 Pro 32bit) and everything was good right up until about a month ago when this issue began. Thank you for any ideas on this,

Are you running Amnesia and rotating the logs nightly?

Have you tried reinstalling the KDS on the client?

mr5443 - I am not familiar with Amnesia - is it a program or part of the nightly process?

I was able to resolve the issue by stopping the kds service and deleting kdsorderimage.bin and kdsorderupdate.bin - for what ever reason these files grew to be over a gig in size.

Here is the command. ExecKDSCmd.exe -A

I've had to set up a bat file that will run this amnesia cmd and then delete kdsorderimage.bin and kdsorderupdate.bin every morning.

I know some other people that swear by pasting this into a bat file and scheduling it also.

ExecKDSCmd.exe –L -P
ExecKDSCmd.exe –D
ExecKDSCmd.exe -A
ExecKDSCmd.exe -R

You can create an External Program for Amnesia and a log rotation You can then add it to your End of Day Autosequence or if you have a Daily Maintenance Autosequence. To look at all the switch options, open a command prompt and change your directory to C:\micros\res\kds\bin and then type ExecKDSCmd.exe ?

Amnesia is an option, (-A), in the KDS command line program ExecKDSCmd.exe.

I had a similar issue with a couple of our larger KDS restaurants. These places have a really high transaction volume, so the kds files were getting really big, really fast. I ended up just writing a batch file to shut down the database, reboot all the workstations and KDS clients, and reboot the server. It runs every morning through task scheduler about an hour after the EON. There haven't been any of these problems in just over 5 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back