Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KDE vs. GNOME

Status
Not open for further replies.

dseaver

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2006
I want to put a gui on other than xwindows for when I surf the web and use other GUI programs. Which do you guys suggest and why?

Technically, you're not going to replace XWindow with KDE or Gnome. XWindow is the unix-standard GUI and KDE and Gnome are "desktop environments" that run on top of and enhance the functionality of XWindow.

My preference is KDE, but I'm not religious about it. I always install both environments' libraries so that I can run Gnome apps under KDE.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

I agree with that response. I also use KDE, but install Gnome for apps. Most people have a preference, but I don't think it matters which you use. Each one has their own strengths and (slight) weaknesses.
If you're switching from a Winblows environment, KDE may be easier to navigate. If you're a Mac person, Gnome may be easier to transition to.

Mark

Thank you both for your posts. I am going to install both and fiddle with each.

how do you disable gnome from starting everytime you start x-windows?

If you want to enable KDE at startup you can use "switchdesk" utility (on red-hat based systems). If you run debianyour debian xwindows loader will do a the job for you.

usage
Code:
switchdesk kde

will set KDE as default.

If you instead do not want linux to start directly into xwindows you must modify the default runlevel in your /etc/inittab file, from 5 to 3. (or even 2 if you are running debian).

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

In other words... when you see the login prompt displayed for either kde or gnome you should see some items somewhere on the screen that usually provide drop down lists. From here you can select which windows manager you would like to use for this session. If you like it you can make it your default. However, I recommend taking the time to login and try ALL of them to see which you like best. If you're like the rest of us, no single one will be totally perfect so you'll have to mix and match to you liking.

I already have the GUI disabled for startup (i.e. I log into the shell). Thanks for telling me how to make it so i can get into KDE. Is there a way to disable both so that i can get into x-windows if I really wanted to?

Again, when you run either of KDE or Gnome, you're running them on top of XWindow, so XWindow is already running.

And you don't want to run XWindow without some kind of window manager. If you don't like either or KDE or Gnome, there are others.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

I have a feeling that dseaver is looking for "twm" or "enlightment", or some default window manager.
My next question should be "why on earth" 'cause they are pretty user unfriendly, but I suppose anyone has different taste; probably hardware constraints.

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

I think as well that he means twm.
If you like hacking your way around, twm can become pretty friendly and look pretty good, but it takes time.
I'd recommend using that time to understand CVS, download the enlightenment-0.17 libraries and files, and getting that to run. Looks good and runs well even on weak hardware.

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

If your just looking for something with less weight than Gnome or KDE, there's also Fluxbox and FXce. Either one of these may fit the bill as well, and should easily be found in the Debian repositories.

Jarrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back