Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KDE 3.0.2 upgrade problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidPenguin

Technical User
Aug 2, 2002
US
I am running Red Hat 7.3 and I upgraded KDE 3.0 to KDE 3.0.2. I was logged in as root using Gnome when I did the upgrade. After restarting I get a Gnome login prompt instead of the KDE one I used to and I can not longer login as root with the KDE graphical user interface. I can login with my user account to it just fine and it shows that KDE is version 3.0.2. I can even su root and that works fine, password and username are good. Any ideas what is up here? Thanks in advance.

What is the error message? Can you run 'startkde' as root?

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post".

The error message is 'login failed' which is really puzzling me since I can su root from my user account and that works fine. I can also run startkde from the root's command line and that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back