Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KB896688 fails to install....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross1811

MIS
Oct 1, 2004
US
Hello everyone,

KB896688 fails to install --> I have pin pointed it to be the default location for programs files that is screwing it up (D:\program files) So I change it patch it then change it back --> Windows update still thinks I need this patch --> is there anyother way around this other than changing my default install path???

Thanks,
Ross

Ross1811,

Have you tried just creating a directory on c: named program files?

Try it, don't change the default location.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Kinda I guess, because that is where Internet Explorer lives (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer), see windows update is trying to look for Internet Explorer at D:\Programs Files\Internet Explorer --> but it does not exist, dont really want two different Internet Explorers at different locations ---> leaves the probability that windows could be using the one that is not patched,

Ross

I tried to download it and install it, but it does the same thing ---> errors

While not specific to your problem, there are a few suggestions in this thread that may help.

Problem with Automatic Updates
thread779-1166662

Have you got the latest version of the Windows Installer?

Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) is available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back