Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KB / interface error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevint21

Programmer
Apr 25, 2001
GB
I have an older pc that i still wish to use. It was originally windows 98. Its a packard bell club 77. The problem i'm getting is the pc wont boot up saying KB / interface error. Even if it does boot up your cant do anything because you have no access to keyboard or mouse.

Checks: i know the keyboard and mouse are fine. I have tested them with a working pc. I know the hard drive is fine because it works no problem in another pc.

Question: is this a motherboard problem? Is it knackered? Is it a cmos battery problem or even a power supply problem? Theres not many hardware/software problems that beat me on the pc but this one is doin my head in.

If the keyboard is fine, then its probably the connector on the MB. have you tried a different keyboard you know works in that machine? The plug in the MB may have a short or some other fault. Plugging in a different keyboard would prove that.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I have tried another keyboard and its just the same. Both keyboards work fine on other pcs. I take it if its a short on the motherboard then it means a new motherboard.

Is this a USB or PS/2 keyboard?

Tony

Users helping Users...

You could try to take out the keyboard connector, and maybe re solder it, or change it for a new one although that might be too much trouble.

You could also buy a PS2 or USB addon card and plug the keyboard into the addon card instead of the motherboards plug.
Like this one:
outletpc_1994_3104050

Provides 2 ps2 plugs for mouse and keyboard and 2 usb ports.

Of course you need to have a free PCI slot to plug it into.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

If it's USB, you will need to enable "Legacy USB" devices in the BIOS. If PS2.......

I often found that on PS keybords, that sometimes the pins, just were simply to short for some M/b's.

Try this (at yoour own peril)Put the jack face down on a hard surface, so the pins and shield are touching the desk, then simply push down hard on the plastic grip.

Now try again.

Often its the metal shield that is to lnog, or has come out of the housing a little, stopping the pins engaging.

Give it a go...

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Found the solution to this. Go to Packard Bell site and download the drivers for the windows 98 keyboard and mice.

So loading the P-B Windows 98 keyboard and mouse drivers has allowed you, for example, to get into the BIOS settings BEFORE the machine has booted into Windows?

Whatever, glad you've solved it...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back