Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KB fuse on Mobo - replace help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

koala15

Programmer
May 9, 2001
AU
I have a client with a Gigabyte M/B (Model GA6VTXE) which is only 13 months old. The K/B, Mouse and USB ports do not function. Everything else works and the system boots OK.

The young user pulled out the K/B in a rough manner while the PC was running. He was spoken to severly by his Dad!!!

My investigations point to the "Poly Fuse" on the M/B that is associated with the K/B, Mouse & USB. I understand that it is possible to either replace this fuse or bypass it. (I am happy to carry out the soldering etc repairs).

Does any one have any experience with this - as I need some detailed help.

When I asked the local Gigabyte repair shop about fixing it - they quoted "approx" 40% of the price of a new M/B.

Thanks. "Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

Shunt a piece of the thinnest wire you can find across the fuse solder points. Done it, works OK.

I have done this before. Took a 2A Pico fuse as I recall. Just mounted it on top of the broken fuse and tack-soldered it in place.

Thanks folks ...... but, do you know where on the board the fuse is located?

I have looked everywhere especially in the local area of the K/B, Mouse and USB connections. I even used a magnifying jewller's spy glass but I still can't locate it.

(Maybe there is a web site that shows the electrical geography of this M/B.)

Thanks. "Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back