Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

kb/833613 "Your changes could not be saved hot fix 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexmacG

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
GB
We are experiencing the problem as descibed in the Microsoft article. There appears to be a fix for the problem but it is no longer available from Microsoft, so I'm told.

Does any body have it so that we can apply to systems still running Excel 97.

-There are technical reasons why we do not desire to use later versions of excel (for compatibility with automatically saved file versions for the people working on mixed versions of Office on PCs using shared files - we are updating slowly and it is not a licensing issue but one of time, and we only wish to apply this to 4 PC systems!).

Thanks in advance

A problem like this is usually something interrupting the save process. Excel creates a temp file when you are working on a doc. All the changes are being applied to the temp file. When you save it, it deletes the original and renames the temp file to the original name.

Usual suspects are Antivirus software and/or Permissions.

I would start with disabling antivirus first.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Thanks xlhelp,

You're probably correct. However, we do not wish to disable anti virus software due to the risks involved.
The problem is now affecting several users so the decision has been taken to upgrade (and hope the problem has then been bypassed!)

Thanks for your help

I had something similar happen and MS told me to use DETECT AND REPAIR. Office fixed itself for me.

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

I could be wrong, but I don't believe detect and repair was available for 97.

AlexmacG, the idea was to disable antivirus temporarily to verify that it is what is causing grief.

It could be permissions and then you don't need to anything except to fix those.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

I'm using 2003 and it's been a while since I've used 97, so it's possible that the feature didn't exist, but it was worth suggesting.

I know that when I'm experiencing a problem and have posted it, I appreciate ANY suggestion and will look at them all.

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back