Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

k_trap Panic 0x00000006 during boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppis

Programmer
Dec 19, 2002
IT
Hi everyone. I moved an IDE 1.3G HD with SCO ODT 3.2 from an old PC to my new one. After the boot prompt and the memory sizing I get a k_trap 0x00000006 and cannot complete the boot. My old PC had a SCSI controller to connect the CD-ROM, and a network card correctly installed under UNIX. My new PC does not have the SCSI controller and have a different network card (I suppose I should have removed them from UNIX before unmount the HD). I have the installation disks. Can I solve the problem on my new PC? If I must put the HC back to the old PC, can anyone explain me the right procedure?
PLEASE HELP ME.
(Sorry, I'm not very expert!!!)

what is the full version of sco that you have? uname -X
what patches had been applied?
Does the new machine see the geometry of the hd the same way that the old one did? Cyl, Hd, Sec

I don't really know the full version, but it is the latest version of SCO Open Desktop before the release of SCO Openserver. I'm unable to type any commmand , but I think the geometry of the hd is ok as the pc can load the boot completely. I tried to boot from the installation diskettes, but when I'm asked for the N2 floppy I get the same PANIC: message. Could some BIOS setting affect this thing, such as the IDE bus master, the CPU cache the IDE DMA settings?

Ok, the full version is SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 Hope with this information someone can help me!!! Thanks.

Well, I've done some more steps: booting with hd(40)unix cache=/n I stop getting the PANIC:. So I could see the full version of my SCO that is SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 and, most important, I could see that the geometry of the hd was wrong. The reason is that on my old PC I had a SCSI HD with windows os and the unix hd has conected as primary master. On my new PC I have no SCSI controller so I had a primary master HD with Windows XP. I connected the unix hd as slave. Connecting it as master the boot can complete (I still have trouble because the keyboard is not working, but I saw some threads about this subject). Now the question is: what to do to have my Windows hd as master and unix as slave? (I will select the one to boot with by the boot option settings of BIOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back