Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Justify line text Independently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codman

Technical User
Nov 25, 2003
GB
I have a number of cells, each containing text split over separate lines using Alt-Return. I wish to right justify the top line and centre justify the other but can't seem to get the right control. I don't think this can be done by using Cell custom formatting. not can I see how to do this using VBA. My pitiful approach is below. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Code:
Sub Dave()
'
' Dave Macro
'

'
    Range("B2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "CH01" & Chr(10) & "PIPE 201" & Chr(10) & "" & Chr(10) & "LUBE" & Chr(10) & "LOW"
    Range("B2").Select
    With Selection
        .HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft
        .VerticalAlignment = xlBottom
        .WrapText = True
        .Orientation = 0
        .AddIndent = False
        .IndentLevel = 0
        .ShrinkToFit = False
        .ReadingOrder = xlContext
        .MergeCells = False
    End With
End Sub

line_text_hj727d.png

Unfortunately, whilst you can apply font formatting - bold, italic, etc, to a set of characters (such as a line of text) in a cell, alignment is applied to the whole cell (whether through custom formatting, or through VBA)

One alternative might be to use a text box, which supports what you want to do.

Hi Strongm,

Thanks for confirming what I though may be the case. Oh well, back to the drawing board [bigsmile]

I guess you can do this in VBA:

Font_zetqoe.png

with fixed width font, like [tt]Courier New[/tt]. Just add appropriate number of Spaces in front of first line of text. My example has 4 Spaces before CH01, but you would have to calculate it on-the-fly

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub Dave()

With Range("B2")
    .Value = [blue]Space(4) & [/blue]"CH01" & Chr(10) & "PIPE 201" & Chr(10) & "LUBE" & Chr(10) & "LOW"
    .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
End With

End Sub

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back