Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just upgraded to CS4, keep getting error after working in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole0000

Technical User
Oct 18, 2007
US
using winxp, ser pak #3

Hi, just upgraded to CS4..looks great but...

after working on an image for 5 minutes, I get the big Bam error stating "the instructions at "0x69639326" referenced memory at "0x0000006c". The memory could not be "read". Ok to terminate, Cancel to debug>

what to do?

Nikky.

...memory errors can be a sign of an unstable system, usually by lack of maintenance to the systems registry...

...i wouldn't put photoshop as the main source of the problem though, as it could be a million things...

...it could be malware or spyware, so your best having your antivirus up to date and running a scan of the while machine, AVG is free and can be used from here:

...one other area to try is this tool from simple pc help:

Andrew

Thank you Andrew! I will check this out.

I also talked to a computer techie who said to FIRST reinstall the program, as the program mayitself be the problem

so I've got some homework to do!

Nikky

Was this problem resolved. I upgraded to CS4 over a month ago. When I now first bring up Photoshop CS4 (after using it for over a month) I get this same error. Did you reinstall the software?

My virus and other protection is all up to date, and doesn't
seem to find any problems.

Bob

Hi Nikky

For starters there are a couple of memory tests you can perform to see if the problem is actually memory related.

First I would check to see if your "virtual memory" is setup up properly for the RAM memory you have installed.

RtMouse click on the [My Computer] icon on your desktop and click properties.

On the [General] tab you can see how much RAM memory you have installed.

On the [Advanced] tab you will see a [blue] Performance [/blue] area where you can click the "Settings" button.

Click the [Advanced] tab and look in the [blue] Virtual Memory [/blue]area to see the virtual settings. Click the "Change" button to see the recommended setting and make any necessary changes.

To Check your actual RAM memory for errors, you can download a diagnostic tool from MicroSoft from this link:

It's a bit of a pain to run but it works if you follow the instructions exactly.

Good Luck

sam

Critical system error messages can also be attributed to hardware/driver conflicts. CS4 makes new use of graphics cards and recommends that your display drivers are fully updated.

After communicating with Adobe, I fixed my problem by removing my "Adobe Photoshop CS4.psp" file which causes it to recreate it. A tech note that was very helpful was:
They suggested trying solutions 5, 6, 12, 19 then 7 of the
document. # 5 worked.

Bob

I was having similar problems. It was my video card driver (Nvidea). Upgrade your video card driver that fixed my problem.

I found the tip below from Nikky to solve my PS CS4 "memory could not be read" error. However, with the following addition:

If you have added additional scratch disks to the PS performance perference, be sure to set the Inital and Maximum size (paging file size for selected drive) of those drives within the Virtual Memory dialogue box described below

Jeff

Hi Nikky

For starters there are a couple of memory tests you can perform to see if the problem is actually memory related.

First I would check to see if your "virtual memory" is setup up properly for the RAM memory you have installed.

RtMouse click on the [My Computer] icon on your desktop and click properties.

On the [General] tab you can see how much RAM memory you have installed.

On the [Advanced] tab you will see a Performance area where you can click the "Settings" button.

Click the [Advanced] tab and look in the Virtual Memory area to see the virtual settings. Click the "Change" button to see the recommended setting and make any necessary changes.

To Check your actual RAM memory for errors, you can download a diagnostic tool from MicroSoft from this link:

It's a bit of a pain to run but it works if you follow the instructions exactly.

Good Luck

sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back