Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just took the 070-270 exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightrax

IS-IT--Management
Dec 29, 2005
GB
Unfortunatly l failed the exam l got 637, which was close but not close enough.

Just wondering if anyone found this exam as hard as l did, a couple of my course mates took the exam about 3 - 4 weeks ago and said that the exam was OK and not that hard.

Could this be microsoft making the exam harder because a lot of people have passed the exam?

> Could this be microsoft making the exam harder because a lot of people have passed the exam?

No, I do not think so.
Rumor is: there are sets of questions (socalled "pools"). SQL-Server 7 had one pool, and for 70-293 there are about 4 pools. I dont know about 70-270, but for my MCSE2003 I didnt need it, because 70-210 (win2000pro) is valid, for this, too.

Some people get the easy pools, some people get the hard pools.

Just wait until 70-291 before crying. This one will make you mad, I Promise.

nightrax,

There seem to be two schools of thought about the 70-270 exam.

Those who have spent quality time with hundreds of practice questions (of the MS Press Readiness Review variety, NOT braindumps) tend to find it bearable. These same people (myself included) then go skipping merrily into the 70-290 only to underestimate the increase in relative difficulty.

Each exam deserves adequate preparation and careful consideration of each question and the possible answers.

And finally, to comment on Totty1973's post, 70-291 was one hard exam to pass. The 70-299 exam makes it look easy by comparison, but the consensus seems to be that 70-291 is the most difficult of the MCSE 2003 core exams.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Thanks for the info peeps, l didnt know about the question pools that might explain a few things.

The revision l did came straight from the horses mouth so to speak, from the Microsoft: XP Pro course book + CBT Nuggets CD's and MS test questions. Plus any practice tests l could find QOD etc.

The exam just stumpted me (but revenge will be sweet ;), well at least l have 70-291 to look forward to like a kick in the <H3LL0>

270 and 290 both have a lot of vaguely worded questions, it's more of a test of your ability to understand the question than knowing the technical answer :p Although the other core exams might be more technically challenging I found the questions in them more direct (it's hard to be vague when describing more complicated scenarios I guess) so more of a true test of knowledge.

A good way to help yourself on the MS tests are to remember process of elimination. Read the details of each question and answer and you can almost always easily spot a totally inaccurate answer so you can choose from 2 answers instead of thinking about all the choices. Also questions your not positive about just mark them for review, go on to the next questions. Sometimes the info you need for the answer is in other questions.

70-290 I didnt think was that bad but the 70-291 was pretty evil. :)

Ryan

MCP/MCDST/MCSA 2003

70-291 definitely gave me the most trouble! Ouch! If the 70-270 was the first Microsoft exam you have ever taken I'm not surprised you failed. I failed it the first time too, I still feel like I failed because the questions were so vague that it was harder to figure out the question then the actual answer. I got some better studying material and KILLED it the second time around. I wish I could have been so lucky on the second 291, didn't pass till the third try. 674 on the second try, talk about pissed! Doesn't matter now though, I would never put on my resume, 70-291 (after three attempts).

Thanks for all the reply's, is there some study resorces: websites etc that people could recommend. So l can pass the exam new time round !!

Thanks in advance,

AnDy

I have passed 70-270 and 70-290 (on the second attempt). I wil sit 70-291 in a few weeks.

Can someone explain what makes it so hard please? I have the Exam Cram book and the Preplogic test exams and am quite happy with my current knowledge. However, I am wondering why the exam is said to be so hard...

I think the 291 was so hard because the questions are worded so long and gets confusing to what they are actually looking for in the answer. You really have to pay attention to key words. Plus the answers can have multiple right answers but MS wants the "best" answer. So that makes it even harder to realize which MS thinks is the best.

Ryan

MCP/MCDST/MCSA 2003

Hello Niterax

Can I ask what kind of questions were you asked?

EvertonFC

To elaborate on Future00's post, 70-291 covers more diverse topics than most MS exams, as well as demanding you to know not only the correct way to solve a problem, but what Microsoft considers the "Best Practice".

In a scenario where more than one solution exits that will solve a problem, what one might do in the real world is not necessarily the solution that counts as correct.

Add to this the wordy and confusing information related to each question, and the range of topics covered by the 70-291 (everything from subnetting to file permissions), and then with only 40 questions or so, a candidate must get roughly 35 or 36 correct to pass.

Wishdiak

Just curious, what types of permissions were they dealing with?

NTFS?

Share?

Group?

t-minus 16 hours till the test...70-291

There were a lot of questions on installing XP, quite a few on (parent/child)folder permissions.

And a hodge podge of questions on XP issues e.g. (some random person who we shale call) bob turn's on his pc it doesnt work. Those type of questions.

Cant really be to specfic, hope those hints help

AnDy

HutchHutchison,

When I mentioned permissions, I was referring to the scope of the 70-291 exam (where one can expect to be tested on NTFS and share permissions, as well as Local and Universal Group membership, subnetting, DC replication, and the like).

The 70-270 exam is really just focussed on installing and using XP workstations in a Server 2003 environment. If you have any questions about permissions, they're likely to be NTFS permissions on this one.

Wishdiak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back