Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just stopped working???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2004
US
Hi!

We have a client that uses VPN to access our AS400. She is getting to us via the VPN tunnel fine (I can see her connection), but she can not access the 400. I tried to ping her and can not. I also had her try to ping the AS400 and she can not. This was working for the past year and now all of a sudden it just stops?? Their PC tech "updated" software (Microsoft Office I think) over the weekend and that is the only change that has been made. Could this have caused the problem? If not, what? Any ideas on how to get it working again? HELP!!!!

Thank you!!!!! = )

Scratch the above post. The tech at the site switched out the router. He is claining though that it isn't anything he did because "everything else works". Very uncooperative! Would they be able to connect via VPN and not access data with a router change? How could the VPN work? = ( I don't know how to fix the problem and their tech won't even try.

Thanks again!

Have router tech VERIFY the router config between old & new router.
Hint: can you "ping" the router from either end ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Thank for responding. The tech is NOT helpful and insists that it isn't anything on his end. How can I help prove to the "higher ups" that it most likely IS on their end and get cooperation? How can they have a VPN tunnel without being able to send data/ping? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to explian it in the best way possible!

Thanks!

Not an expert at this...
Sounds like packets are being lost
Try
c:\> Pathping "remotes IP address" , this should show at which router the packet are lost, probably the new router.

Perhaps the router is set to "stealth mode", where the router is ignoring incoming connection, without sending replies, such as a ping reply.

Do you have access to the router ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Thanks everyone! Went on site yesterday and got their tech on the phone. He FINALLY agreed to look at his firewall and found he closed down the port we needed. = )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back