Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just starting out w/Cisco CCENT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtekie

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2007
US
Hello everyone! I just decided to start the CCENT Track. I want to setup a home lab. I have a few questions, though; please bear with my lack of knowledge.

Currently I have:

1 CISCO 2501 Router
1 CISCO 2520 Router
1 CISCO 2621xm Router
2 AUI to ethernet adapters
2 DTC-DCE Cables

Is this equipment good enough to get going?

Just to try, I connected the cable with DTC side to the 2520 and the DCE Side to the 2501. Did not do anything yet with the 2621.
Both are on Serial0 back to back.
Set the clockrate on the DCE side S0 for 64000
IP addresses on S0:
2520= 192.166.1.112/24
2501= 192.168.1.112/24

IP Addresses on E0
2520=192.166.1.111/24
2501=192.168.1.111/24

So far so good? Not really. I cant ping any interface, so that's where the problems start as I am lost. I have searched all over an maybe I am not looking in the right place for solutions.

I have reset all routers to factory default and can post the configs if needed, buth what is here is pretty much all I have so far.

Does anyone have suggestions here or where I can look besides Cisco's site or somewhere else on the 'net?

Thanks to all who can help!

I had to give up the 2621 temporarily while the person who let me take it now needs it back to continue studies related to CCNA as well. I will have it back, but not for a couple of months! :(

Anyway, I think I can keep it going with what I have. Yes/No?

I was also able to get a switch to work on, a Cisco Catalyst 1900. It may be old, but are the commands pretty much the same now as when the 1900 was the tops? I am out of $$ budget wise for a while until after the holidays.

Hello
I would recommend a 1900 for the CCENT.The commands are way too different,you could run into problems with the exam.You need at least a 2950!!Go for it!!Investing in a lab is no waste money.If you plan to follow Networking as a career,you will alway need a lab to test configurations before inplementing them.So it's a double investment.
Take a look on Ebay,you can pick a 2950 easily for a 120 pounds or less.
Regards
Ps.The 1900 can be a cheap addition for spanning and VTP labs,but nothing else.

The 2924's are good as well, Minue, and usually a bit cheaper. Not as good as the 2950's, though. One of the only differences is that VTP stuff is entered in vlan database, rather than priv exec.

Burt

For the 2924's aren't to be reccomended because the commands are different.And you could run into trouble in the exam room.Nevertheless they can give you a feel of cisco switching,but it's risky.The 2924 is triple end-of-life,even the 2950 but the command line is still up-to-date.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back