Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

just starting CCNA course 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperdaz

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
GB
Any major pointers on topics that are the most useful etc...

whats the current perception on the CCNA on the outside world these days?

thanks

1. Probably the biggest thing you want to make sure you have down cold is subnetting. That is going to be a big part of the test.
2.Also have a very strong understanding of the OSI model and how the different layers talk to each other. Also what layers of the osi model switches and routers operate on.
3. Then there is always the syntax of commands. They don't let you use the tab key or question mark when you take the test so be familiar with at least the basic commands.

The CCNA is still a pretty good cert to have. I tend to find that these days not as many people have them as their MCSE which are a dime a dozen. The CCNA is a great place to start and will help you in having a better understanding of networking and protocals all together. If you really wanna pull down some good expirience and cash go for your CCNP. Which is 4 more tests in addition to your CCNA.

***note - Cisco requires that you renew your certs every three years. So if you are getting your cert and want to keep it make sure you have some real world expirience. Cisco does count other tests towards automatic renewal. So if you have your CCNA and you pass one of the CCNP tests it automatically renews your ccna from that date.

Regards,
Dimo

I agree with Dimo. I failed it my first time simply because I was making the same mistake in Binary conversion on all the subnetting questions. One week later, after studying my mistake, I passed. Subnetting is key.

Also, if you don't already or plan to work in a Network related position, you might want to go another route. I find a lot of people taking the test to improve their resume, that is nice, but you will quickly learn from it.

I am now in a senior level position, and I don't work on routers and switches every day. The knowledge is helpful, but you need to work with Cisco on a day to day basis to stay sharp. I am now faced with trying to pass one of the CCNP exams to continue + renew my CCNA.

I think the Cisco certs are great to have, but most important is the knowledge and skills you will develop hands on. If I could do it again, I would go back and start entry level in a comms group or something. These days I am crunching Domino, Netscreen, Windows, and anything they throw my way, except ROUTING and SWITCHING! :eek:)

Anyway, good luck and I hope this was helpful.

John Judge
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA, CNA, Network +, A+

Hi

What is key with all the Cisco certifications is to make sure you prepare for the exam you will actually take. The exams do change, and study (and textbooks) for one version will not necessarily get you through another.

Keep an eye on the certification pages at for the latest information.

Good luck
EB

Thanks very much....

There is three main reasons for me doing the CCNA... one to get something on paper.. experiance says a lot but I find myself having to defend that I know whatever in what ever field... i.e how can u know lotus domino and exchange well simple worked for different companies and was interested in both.

I am not sure if its agest or just lack understanding... or something I am doing wrong.. I have had the same reaction for the last 8 years....

Thinking back almost every interview I have ever done has basiclly asked are you a hardware person or a software person... I dont understand this at all.... I would say for myself its 50/50...
and normally get a reaction well you cant know both... *

Why is it that the world always living in such closed boxes...

Secondly it might help in leaving this company in the future :p

Thirdly I have an interest in everything

deff have subnetting and osi interrelation down pat. try to take your test before the end of sep as cisco will change the 640-607 to the new test, and it will incorporate some new issues not presently found in the current ccna books. also cisco has just implemented a new cert route for the ccna, which allows you to take two tests towards the ccna. one part covers the networking fundamentals, and the other the internetworking of the devices. since this new testing proceedure has just been implemented, it is in the beta area, and the exams are running $50.00 each. however, note that the 607 may be your best route, as the two tests seem to drill you on the same issues over and over, whereas the 607 does not focus so much on asking the same concepts over and over. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back